Skip to content
What is the difference between MyISAM and InnoDB?
- The main difference between mysql table type MyISAM and InnoDB is that InnoDB supports transaction by MyISAM does not.
- MyISAM support full text search but InnoDB does not.
- InnoDB supports some new features: Transactions, row level locking, foreign keys. If your application does lots of data modification InnoDB is best.
- InnoDB has been designed for maximum performance when processing large data volumes. Its CPU efficiency is probably not matched by any other disk-based relational database engine
- You can use MyISAM, if the table is more static with lots of select and less update and delete. In case of transaction table, it is good to go with InnoDB storage engine.
- Most people use MyISAM if they need speed and InnoDB for data integrity. You can use more than one or any combination of these table types in your database. Remember to asses the needs of your application before building it. Even though MyISAM is faster than InnoDB in the MySQL world, InnoDB is fast compared to any database engine.With InnoDB you get transactions, speed and integrity three features not usually used in the same sentence.